Italian Beef Casserole
1.2kg Diced Beef
¼ Cup (35g) Plain Flour
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Large Brown Onion
2 Crushed Garlic Cloves
½ Teaspoon of dried chilli flakes
½ Cup dry red wine
400g (14 ½ Ounces) canned diced tomatoes
¼ Cup (70g) Tomato Paste
2 ½ Cups (625ml) Beef Stock
2 Bay Leaves
1 Large Red Capsicum (bell pepper) Chopped Coarsely
1 tablespoon of finely chopped oregano
⅓ Cup coarsely Chopped Fresh Basil
1 Large Aubergine, halved lengthways, sliced thickly
185g (6 ounces) swiss brown mushrooms, halved
⅓ cup loosely packed fresh Basil Leaves
- Toss beef in flour to coat, shake off excess. Heat Half the oil in a large frying pan; cook beef, in batches, until browned. Transfer to 4.5litre (18 cup) slow cooker.
- Heat remaining oil in a slow pan, cook onion, garlic and chilli, stirring, until onion softens. Add wine; bring to the boil. Boil uncovered, until liquid reduces by half.
- Stir onion mixture into cooker with undrained tomatoes, paste, stock, bay leaves, capsicum, oregano and the chopped basil. Cook, covered on low, 8 hours.
- Add Aubergine and mushrooms to cooker for the last 30 mins of cooking time. Discard bay leaves. Season to taste.
- Sprinkle casserole with basil leaves to serve.
- Suitable to Freeze.
- Serve with Cream Polenta, Mashed Potato or Pasta